Monday, February 4, 2013

31 Days Of Glass: Containers

After losing a rather frustrating fight with a financial questionnaire, I've given up and am planning to eat cat food and live in a refrigerator box in my dotage. So on to more cheerful things, like more glass photographs.

12: Glass jar from Lehman's Hardware in Kidron, Ohio. Love that place. Great kitchen department, where you can find amazing things you never knew you desperately needed, like squirrel-shaped cookie cutters. And twenty kinds of rolling pins, plus decorative racks to hold them. The jar is full of 8 O'clock coffee, the only kind my coffee maker will consent to make decent coffee from.


13: Mom's cake stand. It's held a hundred cakes for various family occasions. It's mine for a while, before I pass it along to another family member to help celebrate his or her family milestones. Note the marks from years of use and serrated cake knives.


14: Sootie needed a container for his treats, and Mom contributed a jelly jar she was using for dog treats. The dogs didn't mind - they prefer snack in much bigger quantities than this jar holds!


15: Cute fish dish. It holds a perfectly random collection of things on my dressing table - a new quarter, a wood hole plug, a tiny screw, a skeleton key.


16: Vine bowl, a gift from my friend Vickie. I tend to save things "for good", which is what I've done with this bowl. But really, why? It's pretty, I like it, and it deserves more use. Mom's cake stand is clearly well-used, but still treasured. Sometimes things have value more for the memories they carry than the condition they're in.


So there you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment